Stuffed Acorn Squash w Quinoa & Broccoli
Write a review
- 1 acorn squash per 2 people
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or veggie stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli or broccolini
- 1/2 cup tamari almonds chopped*
- 1/4-1/2 cup tart dried cherries*
- *last 2 ingredients can be found in the bulk section of your health food store
- Preheat oven to 400°, meanwhile rinse the quinoa* in a fine mesh strainer and let drain
- Cut the squash length wise, scoop out seeds and spread a thin layer of butter on fleshy part and season with salt and pepper. Place squash flesh side up into a glass baking dish and into the heated oven.
- Place water, stock and rinsed quinoa into a pot, cover, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer until water is absorbed.
- In a skillet heated to medium, drizzle with EVOO and sauté onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the broccolini and sauté until bright green approximately 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When squash is cooked, approximately 20-30 minutes, flesh is tender but still gives slight resistance when knife is inserted, remove from the oven, transfer 1/2 to a plate, spoon quinoa into the center, top with broccolini, onion, garlic mix and almonds and cherries.
- *Why rinse Quinoa? Quinoa is actually a seed and is coated with saponins, naturally-occurring plant chemicals that can cause a bit of a bitter taste if not rinsed.
Kim Kane - Health Coach http://workshop.wellnessenlightenment.com/